Friday, February 6, 2009

Now vs. Now


Music is always changing. As Chris Rock said to the audience at the MTV music awards a few years back...
"Don't make no plans for next year 'cause a lot of y'all ain't going to be here.... You know how it is in music: fickle. Here today, gone today!'' I feel like the drummer in this clip is on to something new. He has a garage band-ish sound like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers or The White Stripes, yet with his unbelievable chops and feel he's taken that sound in a different direction (and a different time signature - this little vamp is in 7). Let this clip heat up, it gets crazy. Notice how he keeps the hits together, despite going loco on his kit. The guys name is Mark Guiliana and he began playing music at 15. I think you might enjoy this little interview of him HERE. So this is jazz now.

2 comments:

  1. Heeey Mr. Whalen, Vivek here.
    I checked out more of Mark Guiliana's stuff, and it's gold.
    In particular, I strongly encourage you to check out The Avishai Cohen Trio.

    This whole break I've been listening to all of their stuff on loop.
    Here's a sample from their most recent album:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGJd_LSktoo
    It's called The Ever Evolving Etude, and its absolutely crazy.
    Starts off with the band playing notes together, then one by one, they start displacing their notes by sixteenths.. all while switching time signatures. Somehow they still make it groove. Oh yeah, and of course, the drummer lets loose at the end.

    They have some beautiful compositions too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kew2zq2aaaA

    Hope you enjoy, as I've enjoyed the stuff you've shared with me (minus the kenny werner book, haha).

    One more thing, I'm seeing the Birdland Big Band play in NYC next Friday. Really excited. First time seeing a jazz show in the city. Though I'm sure I'll be seeing many more, considering I'll be attending college there.

    Alright, see ya Thursday!
    -Vivek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivek,

    I will check those links out, thank you so much! It's cool you're into Mark Guiliana and Avishai Cohen. They are on the forefront of modern jazz.

    Brad Mehldau, Kurt Rosenwinkel, and Jim Black are some names that also come to mind if you're searching around for new hipness. :)

    Birdland is great, you'll dig the scene. NYC is where it all goes down in the jazz world. It's great you'll be in the center of it next year. "Smoke" on the upper west side is my favorite haunt of the moment. You'll have to check that out next. Let me know how the Birdland gig goes, it sounds awesome.

    -Whalen

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, Buster Brown!